It’s no secret that a great website has this:
An irresistible CTA (Call to Action)
The call to action is what tells your website visitors what to do next. The CTA is what converts a visitors into a lead, prospect or customer.
CTAs are used for the following reasons:
- To close a sale.
- Lead generation.
- Social sharing.
- Event promotion.
Some of the most common websites call to actions are:
- Buy now
- Add to cart
- Free trial
- Sign up
- Join Now or Join Free
- Get started
- Give ___ a try
- Create account
- Get access now
- Log in
- Find out more
- Get your copy (book, report, whitepaper, etc.)
- Show Me My ___
A website call to action is executed through CTA buttons.
Here is what makes a great call to action button:
- Don’t beat around the bush. Tell people exactly what you want them to do.
- Keep the call to action short and strong. The call to action should be 5-words or less.
- Avoid boring words on the CTA button. Instead of “click,” “submit,” or “enter” use action-packed text. Spell out what you want website visitors to do like:
- Add to Cart
- Download Your Book Now
- Get Started
- Use the right color for your CTA buttons. One of the most important thing about your CTA button colors is to make sure that they stand out. Red is a great CTA button color, but it will be less effective if the primary color of the page is also red. In general, the colors red, green and orange are effective CTA button colors.
- The shape of the button should be tested on your website. Buttons come in all shapes and sizes. What works on another website might not work so well on yours. The CTA button should draw attention immediately. If you have done your job right, the CTA button will be one of the first things the site visitor sees.
- Your CTA button has to be large enough to stand out. Again, it makes sense to test several different button sizes.
- Create a sense of urgency. Include text like: “now”, “today only” or “limited time offer.”
- Include numbers such as “75%” or “$25.”
- Experiment with changing from second to the first person. Instead of “Get Your Book” try using “Get My Book.”
- Place the CTA button above the fold. If website visitors have to scroll to see the CTA button, it will hurt your conversion rates.
- Use “Free” in the CTA text. Including “Free” on the button will help you with your click through rate.
- Use words that promote emotion such as “New,” “Amazing,” or “Revolutionary.”
- Allow for white space around the CTA button.
- Test, test, and test. Don’t settle for OK. Always try, improving your call to action buttons.
- Make sure your CTA button works well on mobile devices.
Avoid the most common call to action mistakes:
- Too many CTAs will hurt your website conversion. Identify the most important CTA and use it.
- Don’t settle for a non-specific Call to action. Tell people exactly what you want them to do.
- Avoid hype. The best call to action has real substance.
- Never hide the CTA below the fold.
- Don’t forget about the importance of having a call to action on a web page. Most web pages should have a CTA.
- The CTA should really stand out, so don’t hide it. A CTA that blends into the web page is bad.
- If the CTA doesn’t include a benefit, it won’t work. “Free consultation” is far from motivating people to take action. It scares people away.
- If the call to action doesn’t include a way out, it will be less effective. Offer guarantees.
- Don’t ignore the importance of urgency. If you don’t set a deadline to take action, people won’t act.
- Never use confusing language. Use simple language, words without jargon.
- Don’t settle for a low-performance CTA. Test different offers to find the one that performs best.
The call to action is what makes your website an asset for your business. The concept is simple. To create a great call to action will take time. Follow the above advice to create your website call to action. Create multiple calls to action. Also, design multiple CTA buttons. Test the various CTAs and buttons. Use the highest performing one on your website.
photo credit: 3 Ways to Create a Potentially Viral Marketing Video