What is your dream job? I don’t mean it as a phony response to a boring job interview question way. I mean really, what job would you love to go to every day?
If you are lucky, one day, you could get paid for doing something you love. Yes, you could find a dream job.
I remember the times I was looking for a job. I had an idea of the jobs I want and the jobs I felt I could get. Unfortunately, the jobs I wanted and the jobs I got were often not the same. Searching for a job is never an easy process. So, why not only search for your dream job instead. It shouldn’t take any longer to find a job you like than a job you can get.
Step 1 – Know Your Dream Job
Sadly, many people couldn’t name their dream job. They have been working in a job they either hate or dislike for so long that they don’t even think about their dream job.
Here are a few questions you should ask to identify your dream job:
- What are you interesting in?
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- What are your hobbies?
- What are your strengths?
- What skills do you have?
- What job do you fantasize about?
- What job would you take if pay for not a factor?
- If you could create your dream job, what would it look like?
- How does your personality align with your dream job?
- How do you like to work?
- What is your ideal work environment?
- Do you prefer to work from home?
- Do you enjoy working outside in nature?
- What activities do you enjoy so much that you would do them for free?
Step 2 – Identify Required Skills
Every job, even dream jobs, have requirements. For example, if you want to become a yoga instructor, research the requirements. Find out the job requirements for yoga instructors. Read job descriptions to learn what employers are looking for.
Consider the following questions about skills required for your dream job:
- What skills are required for your dream job?
- Do you have a realistic understanding of the skills required?
- Are you willing to put in the time required to obtain the skills required for the job?
- Are you passionate enough about the job to put in the work required?
- Do you have burning desire to acquire the skills required?
Step 3 – Create a Road Map to Acquire the Necessary Skills
Once you have a list of required skills for your dream job, make a game plan to build your skills. There are articles, books, and online courses to learn virtually anything. Most likely, whatever job you dream about requires learnable skills. You can learn what it takes to land your dream job if you are willing to put in the time.
Here are the most common ways to acquire job skills:
- Take online courses.
- Read relevant blogs and websites.
- Attend industry group events.
- Find a paid or an unpaid internship.
- Create a blog about your dream job.
- Find a mentor who has the dream job you want.
- Obtain industry certifications.
Step 4 – Get Experience
Reading and learning about job skills is one thing, but experience is another. You may not have any experience required for your dream job, but that’s fine. There are many ways to get experience. For example, you can go through hands-on training. You can volunteer to work for free part-time to build your experience.
Step 5 – Apply for Your Dream Job
Make sure you prepare your resume targeting your dream job. List the required skills. Explain your experience and what makes you a good fit for the job. Create a list of employers you want to target. Don’t just send out resumes but make real connections with people in your target companies. Send them a short note about your intent to work there and offer to send a resume. Follow up after your first contact and expect to follow up several times after.
Take the following steps to land your dream job:
- Prepare your resume.
- Create a list of your dream employers.
- Make a list of relevant jobs.
- Write a specific cover letter for each job you are applying for.
- Network with decision makers in your target companies.
- Attend events your target employers attend to make connections.
- Follow up after your submitted the application.
- Follow up several times.
- Keep working and you will land your dream job.
You can make your dream job a reality by following the above five steps.